WordPress.tv is a video site built on WordPress by Automattic and it is powered by VideoPress and its main content is a large collection of Videos from WordCamps. In Automattic accent WordPress TV is a medley, RUCKUS, joint, creation, production, contraption and brainchild of Automattic. We shall imagine if you look at WordPress TV’s DNA you’ll see each chromosome is a pure WP.
Yet such an important part of the WordPress family, which is related to & made by WordPress from the skin to the bone; is missing few things that can easily implemented in any WP site and cause a great impact.
I can say all WordPress TV videos or at least most of them are the true educational gems.
I think some of the following suggestions will dramatically increase the usability and traffic of the site and its precious content.
- First and least important thing that WordPress TV is missing is the “Favatar” or favicon.
- Social Icons; There is no link to WordPress TV social profiles, even there is no link to the feed (except a Miro Subscription Link). They have an active Twitter handle: @WordPressTV, but I don’t know why they don’t help users to keep a track of the site updates by showing a link and icon in a reachable position. Adding an RSS button to the search results can also be very useful for the users to keep track of the favorite matters.
- Widgets; There are some important widgets that using them will bring lots of useful data, hits and valuable content exposures to the users. In an ordinary practice the widgets could show most rated, most commented, most liked, most viewed posts and videos etc. Yet I need to say at the videos single-post page, there is a set of informative posts meta mentioning: name of the speaker, event, formats etc.
- At the home page there is a grid of video thumbnails titled as “popular”, but there is no archive for the popular posts/videos, and it’s not clear what is the measurement of the popularity. As far as I know and based on the different plugins that list the popular posts; there is no major agreement on the standard or measure of the popularity. Some believe the number of comments is the most important factor, some say other factors such as number of view, number of shares, rating etc. I’m very interested to know what is the factor of popularity in WordPress TV and why there is no kind of archive for the popular videos?
- The development blog has no search box.
- Lack of Video MetaData and Schema.org VideoObject tags is another important issue in WordPress TV. I realize there is no reason for not using a richer MetaData.
- No Video XML sitemap or at least I couldn’t find any Video XML sitemap again I can’t see a reason for not using video sitemaps.
- Authorship; As I mentioned above name of the speaker of each video is mentioned at the post, and it could be much better if there was a page or section of the site presenting the full list of all the speakers.
But posts don’t show any “Author Meta” and with all the recent spotlights on authorship, rel=”author” and Google authorship. I think it would be great if the decision makers at WordPress TV adopt a better practice for the authorship of the posts and videos.There are two suggestion on my mind: 1. The speaker of each video would be defined as the author through the post meta. 2. Allowing membership registration along with the “Video Submission form” so the people who submit the videos become member and optionally can decide to be the post author or not.
As the last and most fundamental change; I would like to suggest upgrading WordPress TV to a BuddyPress install, it resolves many issues for user interaction, and it creates a much more enhanced environment for users that encourages them to submit more content along with other social features.
My suggestions might seem too demanding to some of the readers, But the greatness of WordPress, its enhanced features and the talented community is what raises our expectations. For example when it comes to SEO related issues such as metadata WordPress and its free plugins offer most advanced features, possible; some of the features even far ahead of the time! I mean for example, developers try to forecast what Google will do with the “authorship” in next five years and how it will concerns the SEO than they include the features in their plugins now. Being influenced with such a talented community is what concerns me to share my thoughts.
I truly appreciate the feedbacks. Thanks for reading this post.